VA Learning Opportunities Residency Program (VALOR)
For more than 20 years, the VA Puget Sound Health Care System has offered this exciting, year-long clinical residency for BSN nursing students, between their junior and senior years. VALOR is designed to increase participant's clinical skills, clinical judgment and critical thinking while caring for our nation’s Veterans. One-to-one preceptor relationships help students build confidence in their nursing skills, and VALOR students have a unique opportunity to connect with the VA Puget Sound Health Care System to assess the feasibility of employment after graduation. VA Puget Sound Health Care System is known for excellence in the delivery of health care. In August 2012, VALOR Students posed at the end of the summer celebratrion luncheon with Janice Foster, VALOR Program Nurse Manager. Every summer, VALOR Students complete a research project , the results of which are shared with their preceptors and nursing staff.
Program Overview (2013-2014)
- Clinical assignments available in a variety of specialties: acute medical surgical units, critical care, home health, renal dialyses, emergency department, mental health, outpatient surgery and rehab unit. Students have the opportunity to rotate to more than one clinical setting throughout the course of the year.
- This is a ten-week paid summer program, June 17 - Aug. 23, 2013. The hourly wage is $21.21, and a bus pass subsidy is also available.
- A limited number of $10,000, tax free tuition scholarships are available if a student opts to apply.
- One-week general orientation including classroom, computer training to introduce students to the VA; specific unit orientation follows thereafter.
- VALOR Students work 40 hours per week during the summer program which includes clinical practice with an RN/Preceptor coach along with other planned educational experiences. Students are expected continue to work during the school year as their schedule permits.
- NCLEX-RN review course registration fee will be paid by the VA when VALOR student accepts a VA Puget Sound offer of employment.
To be accepted into VALOR, a student must:
Be currently enrolled in an NLNAC or CCNE accredited BSN program.
Have a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, with no grade lower than a B in any nursing course.
Have completed the final semester or quarter of your junior year and must graduate by June 2013.
Have had at least one clinical experience in a medical center or hospital.
Be a U.S. citizen and meet physical examination standards at the time of entry into the VALOR Program.
Provide documentation of current immunization status and CPR Basic Life Support at the Healthcare Provider Level.
Be able to complete 400 consecutive hours (10 weeks) as a VALOR Student during the summer months.
Be willing to work a minimum of one day per month when school starts.
Complete the application process and submit all materials by the application deadline.
How To Apply
Print out and submit the Declaration for Federal Employment along with a cover letter/goal statement identifying the strengths you would bring to the program, how you expect to grow from this experience, your long term nursing goals availability for an interview and your current, unofficial transcripts. (Please limit letter to one page)
Request two letters of reference, including one from a clinical instructor. Clinical instructors are asked to address the applicant’s clinical judgment and ability to apply nursing theory to practice; interpersonal skills effectiveness with assigned patients and RN preceptor/clinical staff; and why the applicant will be successful as a VALOR Student Nurse Tech. Letters of reference should be submitted in a signed and sealed envelope.
All application materials should be submitted in one envelope to:
Janice M. Foster, MPA, BSN, RN
VALOR Program Nurse Manager
VA Puget Sound Health Care System
1660 South Columbian Way Mail Stop S-118 Seattle, WA 98108
Questions can be directed to Ms. Foster at email@example.com or 206.277.3083. All prospective VALOR's must complete an interview as part of the selection process.
For more information about VALOR, contact Janice Foster at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206.277.3083 (voice) or 206.416.1614 (pager).