Social Work - VA Puget Sound Health Care System
Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

VA Puget Sound Health Care System


Social Work

About the ProgramA VA employee speaks with a patient 

Both divisions are fully staffed with social workers to meet the needs of patients. Social workers are members of all major Primary Care teams and are located throughout the health care system and in several community locations.

Social workers help Veterans and their families to resolve emotional, social and economic problems. Help is also provided in dealing with the stress of illness, providing information about the VA and community resources, and planning for the Veteran's care after discharge from inpatient care.

Services Offered

  • advance directives
  • advocacy
  • assistance with alternative living arrangements (nursing homes, State Veteran's homes, board and care homes)
  • chemical dependency assessments
  • consultation
  • financial information
  • HIV Counseling
  • home assessment
  • information and/or referral to community resources
  • individual, family and group therapy
  • nursing home respite care
  • services coordination
  • supportive counseling

Our social workers also work with VA Puget Sound Fisher House to secure lodging for the family members of inpatients who are receiving longer term care.

Ask for a Social Worker in the event of:VA social worker logo - The human touch in health care

  • abuse/neglect
  • addiction
  • advance directive
  • caregiver's stress
  • death of a spouse
  • depression/grief/loss
  • discharge Planning
  • financial Needs
  • general vulnerability
  • homelessness
  • housing problems
  • nursing home placement/eligibility
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • stress from chronic illness

Contact Us

For the main Social Work Office: call 206-764-2646 (or 1-800-329-8387, Ext. 62646). 
Social workers are routinely available Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm except on holidays.


Contact Info


  • VA Puget Sound Health Care System

Contact Number(s)

  • 206-764-2646
  • 800-329-8387 Ext. 62646

Hours of Operation

  • Mon-Fri 8:00am-4:30pm